25th Anniversary

25th Anniversary

Thursday, September 6, 2012

UDI Inspiration Challenge #149

Hi, everyone! I’m enjoying being back in my craft room after a prolonged absence.  I had surgery earlier this year, and I keep trying to get back in the swing of things, but something shiny always seems to distract me. LOL!

To ensure I stay motivated and keep my blog up-to-date, I signed onto the design teams for 3 different Utah Divas International (UDI) challenges. Call me crazy, but I know myself, and I need that deadline hanging over my head in order to make sure I’m consistently making time in my craft room! LOL!

Today’s challenge is an Inspiration Challenge, and here is the Inspiration photo:

UDI Inspiration Challenge 149 

Wow! Pretty intense, huh? This picture never fails to tug at my heart and put a lump in my throat. I feel sadness, patriotism, strength, hope… so many overwhelming emotions!  I tried to narrow down all of the thoughts swirling through my head, and the one that stood out for me was gratitude.

In some ways it’s odd to associate gratitude with such a tragic event, but because of that tragedy, gratitude is what I feel toward these men and all of the people who rushed in to help when the world was falling down around them and for all of the people who followed them before the dust even settled who pushed through the pain of loss to look for survivors, and who rooted through what was left to find a way to rebuild what had been lost to give hope to a grieving nation. 

So, inspired by my gratitude and some of the colors in the photo, this is how my card turned out:

UDI Inspiration Challenge 149 (1)

The stamp set is “From My Heart,” and this one reads, “Thank You from the Bottom of my Heart.”  Inside, it reads, “Your Kindness Means so Much.”

IMG_2861

I love this set because it has 4 pairs of greetings that can be used individually or as a pair to bring continuity to the inside of the card.

Below are the tools used and instructions for making this card. Be sure to stop by the UDI blog to see how the rest of the design team was inspired this week!

Cardstock: Whisper White, Sahara Sand, Basic Gray

Stamp Set: From My Heart

Ink:  Basic Gray and Baja Breeze Stampin’ Pads, and Cherry Cobbler Stampin’ Write Marker.

Ribbon: Baja Breeze and Cherry Cobbler Seam Binding Ribbon

Accessories:  Big Shot, Perfect Polka Dots Textured Impressions Embossing Folder (TIEF), Apothecary Labels Framelits, Scallop Trim Corner Punch, Sponge Dauber, Dimensionals, Mini Glue Dots, Snail Adhesive

The card base is Whisper White, and I cut a layer of Basic Gray at 5” x 3.75” and ran it through the Big Shot with the Perfect Polka Dots TIEF. I used Snail Adhesive to center that layer on the card front, and then I took about 12” of each of the ribbons, looping them together and laying them in the center of the card front. When I had it positioned where I wanted it, I carefully used glue dots under each layer at the point where the ribbons crossed over each other to keep them from moving.

I stamped the front greeting in Basic Gray Ink on Sahara Sand Cardstock, and then ran it through the Big Shot with an Apothecary Label Framelit to cut it out and sponged Basic Gray ink around the edges with a Sponge Dauber. I colored in the heart and some of the flourishes with a Cherry Cobbler Stampin’ Write Marker.  I used the next larger size of Apothecary Label Framelit to cut out a piece of Whisper White Cardstock, and I sponged Baja Breeze Ink around the edges.

I layered the two labels with dimensionals, and used more dimensionals to center the stacked labels on the card front. Then I trimmed the ends of the ribbon and moved on to the inside.

I cut a 5.25” x 4” panel of Sahara Sand for the inside, and stamped the inner greeting in Basic Gray ink.  I punched the corners with the Scallop Trim Corner Punch, and sponged all of the edges of the panel with Basic Gray Ink.  Finally, I used Snail Adhesive to center the panel inside the card.

That’s it for this week’s Inspiration Challenge. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the card or Stampin’ Up! Check out my 24-hour store and this month’s “Back to Spool” special.  For every $40 you spend, you receive a roll of 3/8” stitched satin ribbon in one of our new In Colors!   Also, check in with me on Saturdays for UDI’s Sketch Challenge and on Tuesdays for UDI’s Color Challenge.

In the meantime, I hope you are all having a wonderful week and that you’re finding a scrap of time to create something to brighten someone’s day!

Happy Stamping!

No comments:

Post a Comment