Wednesday, November 3, 2010
"Green" Coffee Sleeves
Candy Cane Fabric
Bigz XL Die-Tasteful Trim
Candy Cane Big Designer Buttons
1/4" grosgrain ribbon in Real Red and Marina Mist
Brights Designer Buttons
Victoria Crochet Trim
Quilt batting scraps
Here's my attempt at coffee sleeves using the new Stampin' Up! Fabric line. These were very simple for those of you who sew. I'll be trying a no-sew version soon for those who don't.
First I took a sleeve from the local coffee house, and pulled it apart at the seam. Then I folded one of the fabrics in half with "right" or "patterned" sides together. After pinning the folded fabric to keep it from shifting, I laid the opened sleeve flat on the fabric, and used a pen (or chalk) to trace around it. Here's the trickiest part of this project: When I cut it out, I "eyeballed" a 1/4" seam around the traced line. I did the same thing to cut out a single layer of quilt batting.
I pinned the fabric pieces together with "right" sides facing and the batting on the bottom of both layers. I used my sewing machine to sew along the traced line on three sides of the sleeve, leaving one end open. I used the open side to turn the sleeve outside in and stitched the remaining side closed by hand. I quilted the sleeve to minimize bulk by machine sewing along each red stripe, along the entire sleeve.
For the sleeves that used lengthwise trim, I sewed it on at this point. I used the Big Shot with the Tasteful Trim Die to make some of the embellishments.
I used the cardboard coffee house sleeve to measure where to stitch the ends together, and sewed the seam by hand. Then I embellished over the seam to help hide it. I gathered the bric brac trim to make the rosettes. I think you can figure out what I did from the pictures, but if you have any questions, feel free to email me. I apologize if any of this doesn't make sense, but it's very late, so I'll recheck it tomorrow.